Library Presentations, Posters, and Videos
The Leatherby Libraries at Chapman University values and understands the importance of diversity, and to demonstrate that value, works diligently on creating collections, programming, and services that emphasize this value in myriad ways. Library staff, librarians, and administrators are committed to seeking opportunities to diversify its services for students, faculty, and researchers in order to create a just and equitable environment conducive to teaching and learning through the provision of inclusive physical and virtual spaces where users from diverse backgrounds and experiences are welcome, safe, and valued. Our goal is to reduce obstacles to accessing diverse research resources, services, learning, and engagement through educational outreach in order to raise awareness of diversity related issues.
In this presentation, the authors will articulate their experiences with diversity, and some of these will include the following taken steps to implement diversity initiatives to support our university:
1) Library administration selected a librarian to represent the Leatherby Libraries on all related diversity initiatives. The diversity librarian has been charged with creating a comprehensive diversity plan that will include innovative ways of thinking about diversity and emphasize diversity of thought which has always been at the heart of academic libraries.
2) A librarian contributed to the completion of a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion grant to secure funding in support of a critical primary resource: The Black Historical Newspapers collection.
3) The Africana Studies subject librarian and others have collected and curated anti-racist library resources and created library research guides (LibGuides) dedicated to current social inquiries to highlight our dedication to the acquisition of diverse resources.
4) The Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections & Archives continues to focus on promoting archival collections that emphasize people of color.
5) The Leatherby Libraries acquired new resources that provide research on Social Justice and Legal Issues relating to the LGBTQ+ community and support other diversity related studies.
6) Leatherby Libraries Wins Award for Diversity Initiative for the Sikh Initiatives at Chapman University bring critical acclaim through the Council for Advancement & Support of Education (CASE).
7) Telling Stories: One Room at a Time The Leatherby Libraries' first virtual exhibit during the pandemic.
Our library staff and librarians continue to seek opportunities to diversify our resources and services for students, faculty, and researchers in order to create an environment conducive to teaching and learning. This includes the provision of inclusive physical and virtual spaces where users from diverse backgrounds and experiences are welcome, safe, and valued.
Ross, K., & Nawar, E. (2021, June). Reimagining diversity at the Leatherby Libraries: A strategy for success [presentation]. ALA Annual Conference and Exhibition Virtual. https://digitalcommons.chapman.edu/library_presentations/31
Presented as part of the "Strengthening Societies: Libraries as Critical Institutions in Helping Communities Manage Change" panel at the 2021 American Library Association annual conference.